Sunday, February 26, 2012

And the Last Few

Pssst.. I love Christmas time. This is something I may have mentioned once or seventeen times before. St Andrews gets all gussied up with sparkling lights throughout the main streets. Some people think St Andrews' attempts at Christmas lights are rather half-hearted but in my opinion, Christmas lights are out of the ordinary and a special treat when evening begins at 4pm. Someone who loves festivities decided it would be fun to have a little ceremony to get the town together to switch the lights on. I agree with that someone, but much to my disappointment, we had never been able to attend. This year (last year, I should say) I was determined to figure out when it was and get there! I am so glad we did! Having never been, we didn't know what would happen. Sadly, we missed the actual switching on, but we made it just in time for the parade! We took our sweet boys and pushed them right along with everyone else through the streets as the pipers piped and the drummers drummed. It was so special. Something I would have thought was cool, but may have felt a little silly doing before I had kids.. But now, I am thrilled to give my boys opportunities that show them that life is bigger than just us. We are a part of something bigger, a friendship, a class, a town, a community, a country, a continent, the world.







Maybe this is a good example of the 'half-hearted' accusation? :) Two strands didn't even light up! So it goes, and it is still wonderful.

Next we took a little jaunt to Edinburgh to go to Deep Sea World. We met up with some good friends, the Bolos family. Tony is a philosophy student in Edinburgh and has been a great friend and colleague to Ian. Julie and Emeline are wonderfully sweet and very fun company as well :). We took the big bus down to meet them and Aed LOVED riding it. He had so much fun (well.. on the way there anyway.. on the way back he was less thrilled and more ready for a nap!). 


Deep Sea World was very fun, but a bit smaller than we had anticipated. The best part was definitely the tunnel under the water. There was a little belt that moved you along underneath a huge aquarium full of fish and sharks. The pictures are all taken with an ipod, so low quality, but it was so fun we did it more than once!




One little guy really liked it.. that's for sure. We were really grateful for an opportunity to spend more time with the Boloses, and are looking forward to seeing where the job search takes them as well!

Finally, we took a little outing to Pizza Express. It was our first and only time eating there! I had eaten there one other time in Inverness, but never in St Andrews! I thought it would be fun to have a family pizza night out together rather than cooking in for an evening. We did really enjoy it, and it was one of the very (very) few times we've eaten out with the kids in St Andrews. Aed did great, and as usual..


Gave us a good gun show. (Yes, that is him flexing his muscles. Yes it is as funny as it looks when he does it.)


And I think that about sums it up! We did as much as we could and spent the rest of our time trying to pack up our things. We had a horrible last night and an unbelievably blessed day of travel the next day. And now (hooray!) I have lots of fun things to share about my two little hooligans since we've been here.

No comments:

Post a Comment