Saturday, April 12, 2008

Up From the Grave He Arose!!

In all of the things that were going on, I totally forgot to acknowledge Easter. This first year away from our normal holiday activities with family and friends has been difficult, but it’s also been kind of fun to figure out what these holidays really mean to us and how we want to celebrate them (especially looking forward to our own family someday).

I had hoped to make some Easter bread to celebrate the holiday, but alas, I couldn’t work it in.. Maybe next year, or maybe in a few weeks :) Now this bread has no specific tie to the real reason that we celebrate Easter – namely Christ’s resurrection! But, with some creative thinking, I think I can come up with some good ways to tie it in to help our family focus on our Savior. I’m open for suggestions as well.

After Easter, I also found this recipe for resurrection cookies, which I am very excited about. I think that sounds like a very fun, and visual (which, of course, I am a fan of) way to remind ourselves of what Christ went through for us, especially to make it more personal since we are acting it out with our own hands.

As for us, our Easter was kind of odd. We decided to go to the sunrise service out by the ocean, but after a few minutes of it, decided to leave and go for a walk instead. I think we’ve decided that rather than a sunrise service, we will just have sunrise devotions together on the beach from now on (or at least as long as we live by a beach) to prepare ourselves for church on Easter Sunday. I did get some beautiful morning pictures though…



Our church actually doesn’t celebrate any of the Christian holidays (Free Church of Scotland). I haven’t really looked into it, but I’m assuming it’s for the same reason that many theologians in years passed have done this – because of the fact that the Christian life shouldn’t be crammed into a few days a year, but it should be a consistent mindset, a true daily living in which we remember these things and treasure them in our hearts. Now I do believe that is true, but I don’t think there is anything wrong with setting aside special days to celebrate these things as the Body of Christ either.

Fortunately, we have an amazing pastor whom the Lord is using mightily in our church, and he does acknowledge the importance of these days. We even got to sing a hymn!! (after the service was over, of course :) ) Then we went over to some friends’ house for lunch and conversation for the afternoon. We concluded our day with evening church and ‘opening’ our ‘Easter basket’, which Mom and Dad got for us before they left. It was a pile really, including a big chocolate egg, some chocolate bunnies, jelly bellies, and chocolate sheep just for me :).


We have so much to be thankful for every day. May the Truth of Christ be on our hearts and in our minds daily as we strive to live our lives for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment