Monday, March 21, 2011

A Morning at the Beach

I will never tire of living in a beach town. I love that it is always an option to traipse down to the water’s edge and just relish in the deep sky and huge expanse of sand. A big open space to do with what you like. The perfect place to take a toddler who just wants to run FREE! :)

We have had some sunny days around here, so Aed and I took our first adventure of the season a few weeks ago (pre-sickness). We have been to the beach over the winter of course, but now was time for adventure. Climbing out of the buggy and exploring the beach for as long as his little legs could handle it (or maybe it was mama’s bladder that made the final call?).



When I looked back at these pictures, I knew we were just escaping the dregs of winter because I had thought this day was gloriously sunny :) The sun was there, yes, but it certainly had some competition.

Aed was raring to go as soon as he got down from the buggy.



The in-between seasons here tend to be really windy. It’s often windy since we’re on the water, but some days the wind will literally knock you over. This was one of those days (and I began regretting the trip to the beach pushing my toddler up, up, up all the hills against the wind on the way home). We got out the soccer ball (which has since been stolen by some of our lovely community members) and it didn’t take long for the wind to sweep it away. Knowing it wouldn’t get far, instead of chasing after it we just meandered towards it as Aed found things he was interested in.

Fortunately for me, there were some uneven areas that had become little pools of water as the tide had gone out. These little pools stopped the ball before it hit the ocean, so there was no wading involved. Fortunately for Aed, the ball was stopped at the edge of some very inviting pools of water.



Dude didn’t even hesitate. He was IN. I knew this was a possibility, so I did have a ‘my kid is soaking wet and it’s freezing outside’ plan. I soon learned had things gone differently, my plan would have been very inadequate. But, God was good and instead of bringing home a popsicle I brought home a half-naked-wrapped-in-a-blanket toddler with a better game plan for next time. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Aed splashed around for a bit, and within a few minutes had fallen on his backside.


After a few falls, he was soaked from toes to rump.


This was a wet as I got:


And I was glad for that! I don’t know how he handled that water because it was frigid. I suppose that’s what being a Scot will do to you :)

He continued playing and after a few forward-facing falls (this was the point where I realized I had no plan if his top half got wet) his pants were completely soaked.


I couldn’t believe how willing he was to continue playing! He must have been freezing but couldn’t have cared less. I got his attention and saw that his face was showing obvious signs of being cold, so I got mommy guilt and put his bear hat on to make myself feel better :)


I had to coax him away from the water by trying to avert his attention to the soccer ball again. He was NOT happy when he realized what was going on and immediately turned and ran back. I went after him, stripped him down and wrapped him up, then tucked him away inside his buggy. We’ve always known we had a bit of a water bug, but now I have no doubt! We will be spending many a (hopefully warmer) morning at the beach this summer. Big brother with little brother in tow. And I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment