Wednesday, April 28, 2010

HurricaneHead Wilson

Title taken from Señor Twain’s novel, Pudd’nhead Wilson

Meet Aed’s hurricane. He has an awesome cowlick on the back of his head that makes a perfect little swirl right in the center. It’s super cute, and you can actually see it now that he has some hair :) It’s going to make future haircuts very interesting. Daddy has a nice cowlick a little off center on the back of his head and it is not easy to cut around that thing.

Anyway! Sorry for the mega hiatus! I know you’re all dying to know what Aed looks like now :) He’s almost eight stinkin’ months old! Give us two days and he’ll be there. Unbelievable.

The last several weeks of our lives have been interesting and exciting, to say the least! Here’s a quick (phffffffff.. like I even know what that word means!) recap:

April 4th, a Sunday: Our friends The Bawulskis move in with us while they wait for final repairs to be made to their flat so they can move back in after it was flooded in early November.

April 6th, a Tuesday: We take off with the Bawulskis for a trip to Northern England, also known as THE SOUTH on all the road signs. A full report on the festivities of this trip is forthcoming.

April 9th, a Friday: We return successfully in one piece from our trip (we had our doubts at the beginning with a 2-month old, a 7-month old, four adults, and a dog) and the Bawulskis prepare to move back in to their flat (on time even, yay!) the next day.

April 10th, a Saturday: Aed wakes up.. Mama notices he feels warm.. He has a fever, but doesn’t seem too deterred. Morning continues fairly normally until it becomes very obvious that Aed is not well. He is unable to nap by himself, so Mama takes up shop on the cushy chair with Aed in her arms. They maintain this position all. day. long. Mama and Daddy quickly become concerned because Aed has not moved in hours, nor has he eaten. That has never happened before. Not to mention the fact that he keeps making little groans and tears are coming from his eyes, but no crying (heartbreaking!!). A call is made and a Dr’s appt scheduled for the afternoon. We begin to get ready when suddenly, the dam breaks and Aed pukes all. over. Mama.

Mama must shower. MUST SHOWER. Then we go and find it seems our baby has contracted a tummy bug amidst our traveling. Keep him hydrated, let him rest, know that diarrhea is on its way. Oh the joy.

April 13th, a Tuesday: Today is the day Daddy leaves for New York City to present his paper at CUNY. He is very excited. We are excited for him. However, no one wants him to leave. Aed is still sick, but Mama is sure he will be better soon. The diarrhea has begun, so it can’t be long now. We bid Daddy a tearful goodbye and head to the grocery store.

April 14th, a Wednesday: Daddy is in NYC safely. Mama is very concerned about Aed. He is still not eating, he is still very lethargic, he is still having diarrhea. Mama decides to call again and get another appointment just to make sure he’s ok. In the waiting room at the hospital, Mama suddenly feels very nauseous. She turns on the ignore button until after the appointment. Dr says Aed should be better soon, Mama will be lucky if she doesn’t get it.

Mama barely survives the day caring for a sick baby while fighting off the inevitable.

April 15th, a Thursday: Mama is sick. Daddy is seeing the sights. Aed is sick. Mama is tired of cleaning up diarrhea from every item of clothing Aed wears. She also finds herself cleaning it off the carpet. Mama’s torso begins glugging with the gusto of a giant water cooler and she knows it’s coming.. Joy of joys.

April 16th-18th, Friday – Sunday: Mama and Aed continue to be sick. It is torturous. Aed cannot sleep but is exhausted. Mama cannot let anyone into the house to help lest they get sick. These are lonely, icky times. Across the ocean, Daddy gave a smashing presentation and had a great time at the conference. He is looking forward to coming home, only slightly concerned with what he heard about some Icelandic volcano erupting. He will call the airline tomorrow.

April 19th, a Monday: Miracle of miracles, Mama and Aed are FINALLY on the mend. They wait with great anticipation to hear from Daddy, but Mama is pretty sure things are not looking good. Flights are grounded. We hear that the soonest Daddy can come home is Saturday. We begin to lament and search high and low for some other way, to no avail. He is stuck. We change gears and begin to find a place for him to stay for another week.

The rest of the week: Mama is biding her time until Daddy returns. She is exhausted from continuing to nurse a baby who is trying to make up for days without eating all the while her body is doing the same. We manage to get out and about a few times and are watching the clock for Sunday to come.

April 24th, a Saturday: Daddy’s flight is cleared to take off! Only one. more. night. on our own.

April 25th, a Sunday: Daddy gets home!! Mama has a new appreciation for single parents around the world and a new compassion for any that may cross her path. Daddy is so happy to be home and sleep in a bed after two weeks of couches. We begin to adjust to having Daddy back in our routine and Daddy continues with his academic responsibilities.

We are getting back into life as normal and are so thankful for it! I have great plans to post a few slideshows of some trips we never accounted for in the past year but would really like to have a record of. The Aedster is doing new and ever-exciting things that we’ll fill you in on as well. He is as cute as ever and movin’ and a groovin’ like never before!

Until next time..


  1. Oh, Corrie - how miserable! You are so humble not to have said all this in your message today. Or maybe you just had your hands full then. ;-) What a relief to be feeling better AND to have Ian back!

  2. Corrie,
    Thanks for keeping the blog going and the great care in sharing your lives. I miss you and your hubby and of course.....that extraordinary sweet boy of yours. I so need to come over and play.
    I love you dear.
    Cali Momma and Nana

  3. You're alive!! He's a cutie, even from the back. :)
    I'm glad to hear you are doing well - even if you've had quite a time...

    Love the play-by-play report of things, too