Thursday, June 05, 2008

In a Little Red Barn

(I found this picture on the web, courtesy of Jim Yost. Thanks Jim.)

(2nd post of the day! I actually wrote these posts last Saturday and just got around to putting them up.)

I think if you’ve read much of my blog, it’s no secret that I am madly in love with Indiana.

My Grandpa was in the Navy, so my Mom and the rest of her family did a lot of moving around when she was growing up. They finally settled at the Naval base in Panama City and that is the house I’ve always known my Grandparents in. My Mom moved to Indiana on a mission with Campus Crusade for Christ, later met my Dad, and they stayed there and raised us chitlins.

I still remember the first time I discovered and remained aware of the fact that my Grandpa was actually from Indiana. Using my little brain, I had deduced that since I had only known him in Florida, that must be where he was from. Learning that he was from the same place I was from made me feel a new connection with him that I thought was really cool. It was like a whole new world in which I could relate to Grandpa.

One of the many things my Grandpa is known for is singing to the babies. He always has some tune or song that often involves clapping and great amounts of encouragement to dance to direct toward any grandchild willing to be captivated by it.

He managed to captivate a few of the older grandchildren a few years ago by singing a song called “In a Little Red Barn.” At the time, Hope was working at Ridge Haven and so was always on the lookout for good ‘camp’ items to take with her – especially songs, since you had to sing for your mail. She had Grandpa sing the song over and over until she had the whole thing memorized. I hadn’t really thought about the song until I was talking to her the other night and she started singing it. I looked it up and found out that Grandpa taught us the chorus, but there are actually verses that go along with it! I don’t know the tune to the verses, but I think it is a wonderful song written by someone else who shared my sentiments…

First Verse

I was born 'way down in Indiana,

Wish that I were there right now.

Want to hear my dog bow-wow

When I go to milk the cow.

Raised on corn 'way down in Indiana,

So was ev'ry little hen.

I was mighty happy then;

Wish that I were back a-gain:

Chorus

In a little red barn on a farm down in Indiana,

Let me lay my back on a stack of new mown hay.

'Round the barnyard where the farmyard folks are pally,

Let me dilly-dally all the live-long day.

I'm a Hoosier who's blue, thru and thru, and my heart is pining

For the sycamore trees where the Wabash breezes play.

What's more, I'm pining for a yellow moon that's shining

On a little red barn on a farm down Indiana way.

Second Verse

Work was done 'way down in Indiana,

Picked the eggs the chickens lay;

Pushed the plow and pitched the hay;

Ev'ry day a busy day.

Had my fun 'way down in Indiana

When the sun would go to rest.

Saw it sinkin' in the West;

That's the time I liked the best.

Chorus (repeat)


I don’t want to deceive any readers into thinking I actually experienced all of these farmy things. I grew up around farms and fields out in the boonies, appreciating them and visiting/walking in them, but didn’t actually have the pleasure of such things as milking the cow and pushing the plow. I just live vicariously through songs like this.

In case you’re really curious, here are the lines that directly apply to my life in and feelings for Indiana…

First verse: 1, 2, 3, 5-8
Chorus: All of it
Second verse: 1, 4-8

What a great thing to be reminded of! Many thanks to Grandpa and Hopie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment