Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The paintings – Week 1


This is actually a picture of two paintings (um.. yes we can see that). That’s because I think I'm making a series of some sort. It’s just taking shape and I’m not quite sure how it will all end up but nevertheless, here we are. The first I painted about a month ago and it is based on the idea of the pouring out of the Spirit, like Pentecost or Baptism (funny story, I actually never wrote down the verse it was based on, so I just have the concept.. oh well, I'll have to pick one).

The second was painted last week and is based on this verse: The earth is the Lord's and all its fullness.

So I think if this becomes a series, the second one will actually be the first.

I wanted to mention to some of the symbolism I use in paintings. Right now I'm obsessed with birds. They have been my outlet for the past 10 months or so. They have always appealed to me in their freedom to just up and go, in and of themselves, any time they want to. Almost all the paintings I've done over the last year include birds. And I don't think I'm done with them yet :)

The birds could represent the Holy Spirit, as I tend to think they do in the first painting, or the idea of sky, flight, things in the air, as the bird feet do in the second painting (though there is some irony in that I put feet up there rather than wings.. bring to it what you will). I also usually have some kind of 'flowing' happening. It's in the background of the first one and represents water - pouring out of the Spirit, and it just hints toward sky and earth in the second. And, there are almost always those skinny little rectangles, which are my representation of people. There are, of course, many other symbolic items, but those are some examples.

I know some of you love that I just did that because it's hard to figure out art like mine, and some of you think I totally ruined your viewing experience because you love figuring it out, so your welcome and I'm sorry.

Until next week!

1 comment:

  1. oooohhhhh... i like how abstract they are. but the symbolism is still there - clear to see.

    looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete