Thursday, January 14, 2010

This Little Boy

I was going to write a post about what we found when we came home from the States and some reflections on how motherhood has changed my life… and then I considered that a post like that contains pictures of objects, not babies.

And then I considered how long it has been since a baby has appeared on this blog.

And I decided to change the order of my posts a bit and put a smile on your face.

There. That’s better.

Aed did lots of new things while we were in the States and it was really fun to see the changes!

Before we left, he had smiled at only two other people aside from Ian and I. As he was smiling over and over again at the Irish woman talking to him in a line for a bus at the airport on the way home, I realized this little boy is getting bigger.

Before we left Aed had accepted a pacifier for a few weeks right after he was born. He proceeded to then begin to refuse it and I did not argue. However, after a few trips in the car upon our arrival in the States, something had to change or we were all going to be deaf by the end of our visit. So, on the way to church I decided that since we had a good long car ride, I’d just keep putting that thing back in his mouth to see what happened and eventually, he took it! And, we quickly learned why it was given the name, ‘pacifier,’ and we thanked Jesus for it.

Before we left Aed had only taken a bottle once after much struggle. When we came back, he had only taken a bottle twice and we might just forego the bottles altogether :) (you can’t win ‘em all!)

Before we left Aed weighed 12lbs 12oz and was about 2 feet long. We haven’t found out how long he is yet, but we know that he is now over 15lbs! (and my arms can certainly feel it!) This little boy is getting bigger.

Before we left he was pretty sure he knew that those were his hands flopping around in front of his face. While we were there he discovered how very much he loves having them in his mouth at every possible moment. He also discovered his fabulous feet at the end of his legs and hasn’t looked back! This little boy is getting bigger.

We found ourselves commenting at least once a day how we can’t believe how much bigger he is. I am dumbfounded when I recall the tiny baby we brought home from the hospital, all wrinkly and spastic. We had no idea what we were doing.. We still don’t. That will probably never change.

Before we left he had begun to wake up every three hours around the clock to eat. That was very tiring and confusing. While we were in the States, we decided to give some baby cereal a try to see if that would help at all. The first day, he ate about 2 tablespoons. The next, he ate three. The next he ate four and slept 10 hours that night. I think we have an addict, I’ll let you decide if it’s him or me :) This little boy is getting bigger.

Before we left Aed was making some noises and babbling a bit. While we were in the States he began what I call singing (a repeated note over and over again.. sometimes at 5am) and babbling like crazy. He also has incorporated more laughs and squealing into his repertoire (also coughing.. which is hilarious), along with a wider variety of whines and cries. It is amazing to watch his face as he interacts with people and objects, and to find that I have already unknowingly taught him something – to squint his eyes :)

We saw more of his personality, his likes and dislikes (he still dislikes small spaces, by the way). He is unfazed by animals and likes to stare at other small children. He was a little overwhelmed at first, being introduced to so many new people, but he got the hang of it after a while, and I’m afraid he’ll be rather bored now that it’s just Ian and I again. He is quickly learning to enjoy a wide array of toys, including anything in my hands or nearby – whether it is technically a ‘toy’ or not!

He has now rolled over four times from his tummy to his back, and Daddy has missed it every time.. We still haven’t been able to get him to do it while Ian is watching.. Sneaky little fellow..

Another first was when he didn’t poop for four days in a row. We are now learning that this seems to be a pattern (another thing he inherited from Mama – currently the record holder in this family with waiting 10 days to go).

It is hard to believe how quickly he changes and grows, but so fun to watch. He still loves reading books with his Daddy, and singing ‘My God is so BIG!’ with Mama gets a smile every time. We are so thankful for our baby boy and though my daily thankful posts have let you in on some of our struggles with him, we know these days are fleeting and are getting the most from them that we can. There is nothing sweeter than holding Aed’s gaze and watching him lean in to touch his forehead to mine, then giving me a big smile. This little boy is getting bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment